Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 26, 2010

y asi comienza la vida universitaria!

Hola a todos!

Classes are underway, books have been purchased and the labyrinthian concho route to school has been mastered. I feel almost settled here in Santiago, although each day seems to present new challenges and opportunities.

For example, the concho. A tiny beat up car, usually Toyota, that Dominicans use for public transportation purposes. They are like fifty cent taxis that take designated routes though out the city. Five Dominicans (and the occasional gringa) pile into the back, oftentimes sitting on eachothers laps, and two sit in the front seat. It makes me laugh to think how Americans play ice breaker games at college orientations and summer camps where you have to sit on somebody else's lap and everybody giggles. Just part of everyday life in the DR. All you can do is hope the person you're snuggled up against has been able to take a shower that morning. Anyway, you yell at the driver "donde pueda senor" when you reach your destination, the people pile out, set you free, then pile back in. Eavesdropping in the conchos is fantastic. Fights, break ups, political debates, singing....I love it.

My classes are wonderful so far, there are still two that I haven't had yet. This semester I'm taking Contemporary Dominican Literature, Latin American Film and Society, History of the Caribbean, Dominican Socio-Political Processes, Advanced Spanish III, Drawing and Latin Dance. Superior education is very different here; the students tend to present the material through a series of research projects and power points instead of the professor lecturing. Lots of group work and the tests are based on word for word memorization of the material. ayayyay. Fortunately for me my professors are known as the exception and they encourage class discussion and analysis. My favorite, Dr. Ramirez, grew up in Cuba, received his first PHD in Havana, floated to the US in a raft, became a citizen and painted houses while he worked his way through college again and then went on to get his American PHD. I also have a wonderful Puerto Rican professor and Dominican/Chinese prof. I did not realize how prestigious PUCMM was when I decided to study here, but talking to the students (and seeing the cars they drive) reveals that their parents are company owners, politicians or have dual citizenship with the US. The Haitian students work very hard here and usually work on campus or elsewhere full time. I've met quite a few and its inspiring to see how much they struggle to be here, and yet their main goal is to go back to Haiti with their degree and work as doctors, nurses and engineers.

Home life is just swell, I am so blessed. Generina is a total spaz and her energy can be overwhelming at times, but I love her! Last night I came home from Santo Domingo and she surprised me with sushi for dinner. She also took me along to this make up party, like a tupperware party but her friend was promoting this european cosmetic line. These two tall Dominican women who could have easily appeared on the cover of Vogue took off all our make up, put our faces under a black light, told us everything that was wrong with our skin (terrifying) and then gave us full facials. Champagne and fancy hors d'oeuvres were served; I just giggled inside and out wondering "how did I get here?" I didn't buy anything but Generina was totally sold.

Santo Domingo was absolutely beautiful! We walked all over the Zona Colonial, visited the old Spanish forts, Churches, convents and government buildings. The colonial district truly looks like photos of Havana from years past. I'll post some here! The city center was what really blew my mind. There were so many different ethnicities, Lebanese, Italians, French, Spaniards and lots and lots of Chinese. There was a giant China town right in the heart of the city, where people blared salsa, merengue and reggaeton. The outskirts of the capital will always be stamped in my mind. This was the first time I had ever seen a cardboard city. Built on the inland hills surrounding Santo Domingo were thousands of tiny structures, not even worthy of being called shacks, where the poorest of the poor eek out a living and raise families. Still trying to process the images.

I can't thank you all enough for supporting me with your prayers, they make all the difference in the world. Please continue to pray that God would strengthen me from within and bring just the right people into my life this semester. Un abrazo desde La Republica Dominicana, I love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Just curious, why are there so many Chinese there? The DR doesn't seem like a direct shot from China.

    ReplyDelete